Xiaomi reportedly plans to join the US market in 2019, even as its competitors find themselves trapped in a political web.
The Chinese phone company’s senior vice president, Wang Xiang, told Reuters Tuesday that Xiaomi is starting work on developing devices for the US.
“Next year we hope we can do something there,” he said.
The timeline was revealed despite massive US political scrutiny on rival firms Huawei, ZTE and China Mobile. He admitted that the tensions created “uncertainty,” but expressed confidence that Xiaomi could overcome it.
“We don’t see any reason for us to get into that political problem,” he said, citing his company’s US links.
He noted Xiaomi’s focus on the consumer market — Huawei, ZTE and China Mobile have carrier networks — as well as the fact that it employs many American engineers.
Wang was previously head of Qualcomm’s Chinese operation, but.
The political problems faced by Chinese telecommunications companies come amid rising tensions between the US and China over national security concerns.
On Monday, the Trump administration wrote to a letter recommending that the Federal Communications Commissionto the US telecommunications market.
Last week, Republican and Democratic senators joined forces to recommend that the President, which abruptly after a US ban.
In June, lawmakers— which partnered with Huawei on instant messaging — to express concern over Huawei’s ties with the Chinese government, saying it posed a threat to US national security.
: And adds dual AI-powered cameras
: …and maybe now the US too